Friday, November 7, 2014

To Be or Not to Be a Vegan?


What exactly is a Vegan?
A vegan is a person who abstains from all animal products. That means no meat, dairy, eggs, honey, wool, leather, or any other animal by-products. Vegans are very conscious about the environment and are often animal rights activists.  So, if they don't eat any animal products, what's left? Surprisingly, lot's of things! Grains like quinoa, rice, millet, kasha, amaranth, oats, barely, wheat, and rye. Beans and legumes like chickpeas, soybeans, lentils, black beans, cannelloni beans. Nuts and seeds like flax, chia, sunflower, walnuts, pecans, peanuts, cashews and almonds. And of course, limitless amounts of vegetables and fruits. So as you can see, there are many options to fuel up on. 

What are the benefits of being a Vegan?
A vegan diet, when planned correctly is full of fiber and essential micronutrients. People tend to feel more in tune with nature and the planet when following a vegan diet. They believe that by consciously choosing a cruelty free diet they are doing their part in minimizing suffering of animals, and lessening their impact on the environment. When the emphasis of the vegan diet is on whole grains, fruits, healthy fats and vegetables it can help give you more energy and evoke a more compassionate mindset. However, a vegan diet with the emphasis on heavily processed "substitutes" can lead to serious health issues. 

What are the cons of a Vegan diet?
A vegan diet is full of Omega-6  rich foods, which can lead to increased inflammation in the immune system and body. Also, some people do not do well on a high-carbohydrate diet. It is also easy to miss out on important fats, because most vegan diets are very low in fat. An over dependance on soy and wheat can also cause problems for some people. Also, it is easy to become deficient in vitamin B-12 and important Omega-3 fats.


My Experience with a Vegan Diet
I have experimented with veganism a few different times. The most recent was over the summer of 2014. I started out trying the Fruitarian way of vegan eating. It did not work well for me. I felt spacey, dizzy and off balance. I almost immediately lost all definition in my abs, and I was constantly hungry. Some people boast great results and energy from this way of eating. I, however, did not. So then I regrouped and started incorporating more tofu, soymilk and whole grains. I was constantly tired, and by the end of the day my stomach looked like I was 6 months pregnant due to serious bloating. My face broke out, and I gained a total of 25lbs. I was very discouraged, because I wanted so badly to succeed. After opening my mind up a little, I began to incorporate eggs, then small amounts of meat, and I cut out grains. My brain fog went away, my stomach stopped bloating, and it felt like my abdomen tightened overnight. Not to mention my extremely difficult skin cleared up. I felt really, really good.  

Well gee, that sounds like a horrible experience!
It wasn't. I did feel a greater sense of compassion and I was more laid back. I also picked up some great new cooking skills. I realized that a completely vegan diet is not for me. But don't just take my word for it, and don't base your decision off of my experience. There are many healthy and happy vegans out there who love their lifestyle and are thriving. I learned a lot about myself through the process, along with a greater understanding about how to source meat and animal products responsibly. 

Another thing I realized....
Veganism doesn't have to be an all or nothing decision. I still enjoy many vegan meals, and everyone can benefit from eating more vegetables and fruits. It's all about finding the balance that works for you. So go experiment! Trying one vegan recipe isn't a life long commitment, and you might really enjoy it. Below are some of my favorites! 








Paleo Stir-fried Vegetables (omit fish sauce)

So...to be, or not to be?
That is the question that only you can answer. You can start by participating in Meatless Mondays, or adding two or three Vegan meals a week. Take it slow, and pay close attention to how you feel. Do you feel balanced? Strong? Satisfied? Energetic? 
The only thing that will make any diet change sustainable is how it effects your every day life. 

Have you ever tried a Vegan recipe? Did you like it? How did you feel?

-Amara

No comments:

Post a Comment