Thursday, November 13, 2014

The Four Words that are keeping me awake at night

"Once every three days"
Those four words run through my head over and over again. Every time I ask my boyfriend what he wants for dinner, every time I snap a photo of what I am having for lunch, every time I go to the grocery store. Those words are haunting me constantly.

What is so significant about those words? 
That's how often people in Haiti are eating. Sometimes, it's even less than that.
Can you even imagine what that would be like? Can you imagine only being able to provide food for your children once every three days? I can't. I have no idea what that would be like. It makes me sick to think about it.

Three times every day 
That's how often we eat in America. Sometimes, it's more than that. Even with how much we eat, there is still so much waste. I'm not saying that Americans need to stop eating forever, or that the unequal food distribution throughout the world is our fault. I am saying that the amount is unacceptable. I am saying that I want to do something about it.

Going Beyond the Plate
There is a very specific reason I chose this title as the name for my health coaching business. Health and wellness involves every aspect of your life, not just what is on your plate. But I want to take it farther. I want to help feed people who don't have any food. I want to make a difference. That is why when you participate in one of my programs we talk about food waste, and how to minimize it. That is why $10 each month from every client will be donated to this cause.

Why Haiti?
Because sometimes weird things happen. Things like a Haitian adopting your mom. This happened to me. I have never met my brother in Haiti, but we talk on Facebook sometimes. The first time he "liked" a food picture I had posted, I couldn't sleep. Here I am, living below the poverty line in America, but I still have food. I have clean water. I have an opportunity to build a career and to make more money. These are all things that he does not have. Things that I take for granted on a daily basis. "Oh, well that's not organic so I won't eat it." Or "Oh, I'm sorry, I only eat grass-fed beef" or "I'll take the salad, but could you leave off the chicken, cheese, and ranch? I'm a vegan". These things are privileges. It is a privilege to have a choice on what you buy at the grocery store. It's a privilege to be Paleo, Vegan, or whatever else is in style. It is a privilege to be an American. People can complain about politics and whatever else, but does it really effect your day-to-day life? Do things actually change for you after an election? They don't for me. We spend way too much time focusing on what might happen, that we are completely blind to what is already happening. Do you know what is already happening? And don't even give me the "well, I believe that we need to help people here first" argument. I'm not denying the fact that there is great need in America, but if you aren't even helping those people, then I don't want to hear it. People are people. American, Haitian or any other nationality, and I believe that everyone deserves to eat. I am choosing Haiti because I have the opportunity to work with an organization that I trust. I know that the donations will be used to feed real families and not spent on "administrative" costs.

But it's just $10....
It's $10 per month for every client. So if I reach my goal of 40 clients, that's $400 per month. That's $4,800 per year. I would love to be able to give more than that. But that is my goal and starting point.


Bringing it Full Circle

Beyond the Plate is not just about losing weight, or "getting healthy". It's about total well-being as a whole. It's about giving. It's about teaching my clients how to be mindful about what they are wasting and how to be responsible consumers. It's about starting a movement of global-minded, compassionate people. It's my chance (and yours) to kill two birds with one stone by helping families eat well here, and by helping families eat in Haiti. This is my mission, and I hope to have your support.

-Amara



No comments:

Post a Comment