Monday, November 10, 2014

It's really none of my business but, do you even lift?

Weight Lifting Myth #1: If you lift weights, you will end up looking like this guy.

Like, free weights, bro. 
If you aren't lifting weights, then keep reading because there are some incredible benefits to this extremely functional exercise. From preventing osteoporosis, to increasing energy and work performance, weight lifting far out weighs (haha....) spending an hour on an modernized torture device elliptical.

My Experience with Weight Lifting
If you took the time to read the About Me section of this blog, then you are probably aware that I have struggled with an Eating Disorder for the better part of the last two years. Along with the issues around food, I also had a serious problem with exercise. Even after I established healthier eating patterns, I would often spend up to four hours per day at the gym. Four hours of non stop cardio vascular activity. I would leave feeling absolutely drained and miserable. I would miss important social events, and have extreme anxiety if my gym time was being compromised. I had huge dark circles under my eyes and looked very ill. 
Then I discovered weight lifting. I began incorporating it into my routine and started seeing muscle definition and feeling stronger. 
Weight lifting has been vital to my recovery, and I credit it to minimizing the long term effects of my malnutrition. 

Women especially, listen up!
Studies show that weightlifting can increase spinal bone mineral density by 13% over the course of 6 months. That means it reduces your risk of osteoporosis . All it takes is lifting 2-3 times per week. Along with strengthening your bones, weight lifting blasts' fat and decreases your risk for diabetes, heart disease, and even depression! Plus, it just feels pretty badass when you finally master the perfect deadlift. 

Getting Started
Weight Lifting Myth #2: Sorry, you won't
get defined biceps
by using 2lb weights. 
Before I started lifting weights I had a friend recommend this book. I HIGHLY recommend it as well. This book has forever changed my life. It is so easy to use, and you will very quickly see the results. Alternatively, I cover weight lifting in detail during my 6-Month Health Coaching Program. But either way, check this book out!  

Take it Slow
If you possess a healthy amount of common sense, you won't start of your first day of training by trying to bench 300lbs. Take the time to really learn about proper form and technique before hitting the weight room. Like with any exercise, there is a risk of injury if done improperly.

Don't be afraid. Or intimidated. And especially don't be gym-timidated. 
I like to refer to my gym as "brotown". Why? Because it's basically a Tap-Out clearance sale with a special exhibit on tribal tattoos. And tans. So. Many. Bad. Tans....
For a good while I was afraid to lift if the gym was busy, so I abandoned my healthy dose of common sense and stuck to the elliptical. About 20 minutes later I was about to lose my sanity, so I decided that I really couldn't care less what these guys thought (or didn't, most likely) about me. I am usually the only female there, but I just turn my music up and go about my routine. I'm also not afraid to use my well-crafted death glare if someone is taking too long in front of the weight rack because they are on Tinder or texting. 
Don't let fear stop you from making an important decision that will impact your health in so many positive ways. Don't be intimidated by other women, either. You do you, and they will do them. It's easier said then done, I know. But trust me, you will most likely fall in love with exercise and then whatever people may be (but probably aren't) thinking about you will fall to the wayside. 

So what are you waiting for?!
Get educated, then get to the gym! If you can't afford a gym membership, then it's really easy to set up a home gym. All you need is a set of dumbbells to get started. Below I have included some resources that I have found especially helpful in learning how to lift.

Be sure to check out Girls Gone Strong for great information about weightlifting 

Fitness Blender has some great free weight workouts 

The Women's Health Big Book Of Exercises is a fantastic resource, I use it every day. 


Also, a Special Thanks To...
My friend who introduced me to weight lifting. You have been such an inspiration to me on my journey to health, and words can't explain how grateful I am. I whole heartedly believe that the damage from my eating disorder would have been much, much worse if I hadn't started protecting my muscles and bones when I did.  

Do you lift weights? If not, do you want to start? 

I hope you have a great start your week!
-Amara




No comments:

Post a Comment